IoT Podcast: Episode 130: Nest’s a security company now and Hitachi’s new industrial IoT explained
Wow. This week saw some big news from Nest as it announced a new security system plus other devices. August also updated its line of locks and promised a better doorbell. Meanwhile, rumors of an Amazon Alexa security system or even glasses emerged. And Google leaked some news. We also talked about smart grid M&A and Comcast buying Stringify, a company that links together myriad devices and lets you create scenes. Kevin also shared his thoughts on the Apple Watch with LTE and we answer a reader question about garage doors.
On the guest front, we speak with Rob Tiffany, the CTO of Lumada, about Hitachi’s new industrial IoT play Vantara. He discusses the existential threat that faced Hitachi and why it needed to make a move as well as shared how Hitachi is offering trains as a service. There’s a lot to digest in this show, but it’s a solid overview of the big news this week.
- The Nest Connect and Security is the return of Weave
- So much hardware getting released and leaked
- On the Apple Watch with LTE, manage your networks or manage your expectations
- IoT posed an existential threat to Hitachi’s business
- How to turn a train into a service